According to the Guardian newspaper (U.K) 18,000 tonnes of pumpkin, inners goes to waste on Halloween. That’s enough to feed a portion of pumpkin pie to the U.K 5 times over! If food waste was a country, it would be the world’s 3rd largest emitter of CO2 so what can we do with the inners? This Delicious pumpkin leftovers soup is the perfect solution!
Pumpkin inner soup with toasted pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin Leftovers Soup Ingredients
- 1 kg Pumpkin inners
- Pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Onions
- 700 ml Stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 150 ml Double cream
- Heat olive oil in a pan then cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin inners to pan, fry until golden, stirring when needed, about 10 minutes. As a bonus the more inners you scrape out the thinner the pumpkin wall, the more light the pumpkin produces when lit.
- Pour in the stock, season, bring to boil then simmer until the pumpkin is very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cream then blend.
Directions toasted seeds
- Turn oven on to 180.
- Rinse seeds clean and pat dry. Toss seeds in melted butter with some salt, then spread on a baking tray.
- Bake until they taste crispy/toasted, this can take 10 – 40 minutes.
Ladle carefully into warmed soup bowls or empty pumpkin sprinkle the toasted seeds on top.
P.p.s: Non cooked pumpkin can be composted after.
Taking out the seeds
Carving our the inners