Maybe it won’t rain? Is it sunny in another valley?
It is about as old as sayings go, weather changes quickly in the mountains. Keep refreshing that forecast or better still, if you are in resort, look out the window, the forecast is not always right.
- If there is bad weather sometimes it gets stuck in one of the valleys so it could rain in Morzine and be sunny for example in any of the following valleys so add them to your forecast app if you have one. Thonon Les Bains (45 mins), Samoens 40 (mins), Chamonix (1hr 15), Geneva (1hr 20) and Annecy (1hr 30).
Get outside and get wet!
Again, the saying that your skin is water proof is older than the mountains themselves! I can almost hear generations saying to me there is no such thing as bad weather just bad gear! The bad weather days when we have been out hiking are even more memorable than the good weather days!
- Pack a mack, gators and a hat and you are set or buy an umbrella and make sure where you are heading is not too exposed so the wind does not catch your umbrella! If you don’t have wet weather gear most of the shops here sell it, if you can’t find your size etc head down to Thonon and go the larger stores of Decathalon or the Vieux Campeur… as a bonus hopefully it won’t be raining down there!
- White water rafting and canyoning both get better with rain so get in touch with Frogs or Adventure 7 and book your trip!
Get a big roof over your head!
- Hide out in one of Morzine top 5 restaurants and commit to an afternoon of cheese and wine!
- Morzine has a great indoor pool and the ice skating. The water park Aquariaz in Avoriaz is super fun, it can get busy with bad weather if so bowling is not far round the corner. There are also great water parks near Geneva (Parc Vitamin) and on Lake Geneva/Lac Leman too (Aquaparc).
- St Jean has a new soft play at Mountain Aspects or slightly further a field Frances largest indoor soft play is in Annemasse called Isla Tortuga which is paradise for kids and Peter Pan adults too.